A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay


Version: Paperback, ARC
Pages: 384


Started: February 28th, 2017
Finished: March 26th, 2017

Publisher: Allen and Unwin, Sydney Australia
Price ($AU): 

Rating: 4.8/5

Exclamation: I would just like to state that I received this book from Allen and Unwin in return for an honest review. Therefore, everything I say here is the honest truth and is simply my personal opinions on the book. 



A Hundred Small Lessons by Ashley Hay is a read that will open your eyes to the history of your past, the past of your home, those who lived there and will make one want to learn more about who they are. It is a novel that explores the finding of oneself and shows the importance of family through the process of life. 

I feel a strong connection to this novel as I am from Brisbane myself. I always love reading novels set close to home as I know what happened there in terms of history, the setting of places etc. It is like going "Hey! I know that street!" "I know that flood" "I know where they are! There is this there and that there and just around the corner there is that cute little building" etc. It is a really cool feeling. It just feels rather special to have a novel set in little old Brisbane. A place I know so well. So that is just one point that I loved about this novel.

There wasn't much action in this novel and this is what I liked about it. It is a read that doesn't need action for one to feel emotions and pain for the characters. It is realistic and from this is one that helps the reader to connect to the novel itself. We have all experienced the emotions felt in this novel at some point. Whether is moving house, trying to settle into a new area, getting to know people and from this yourself, being a parent, being a wife or husband, reminiscing on the past or whatever it is, it is something that easily clicks into a memory or an emotion that you have already felt. It is so real in fact that you can begin to feel as though you are reading a true story. I love that.

The characters were another thing. They were easy to understand, you could connect to them and you feel their pain, their worries and their stress. You laugh when they laugh, you feel pain when they feel pain. There is a unique form of bonding between the reader and character which makes the novel more enjoyable. Lucy Kiss and Elsie Gormley where so alike, yet so different. And by the end of the book you really feel as though you know them. They were the main characters making them the most realistic of all. I loved reading about them and though I am a teenager, I felt like I was getting a taste of adult life and this was very interesting to me. Clem and Ben were also very interesting and their perspectives were enjoyable to read.

In the end, I couldn't put the book down. I was desperate to find out what was to happen. I was personally scared for all the characters. So I stayed up until 12:30am and when I read that last page, I nearly cried of sadness yet joy. A hundred small lessons was a wonderful read. The writing was unique and smooth and flowed so well. It was realistic and I loved it. I truly believe that I learn many lessons from this novel and that is something new and special to me. I also loved the cover and I cannot tell you how many compliment that cover got!

Thank you to Ashley Hay for this wonderful read. I truly enjoyed it and I have already had my Aunties, Mumma and Nana ask to read it next! I definitely recommend this novel to those who want an eye-opening and beautiful read. 

Thank you to Allen and Unwin for providing an Arc of this. I love the cover!

Love from The Book Musketeer Xx
All for One and One for All...

Comments

Popular Posts