An Ember in the Ashes Series by Sabaa Tahir


An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir

Rating 4.5/5
Started: 9th January, 2017
​Ended: 12th January, 2017

This book was incredible! I loved every bit of it. My first read by Sabaa Tahir was a wonderful experience due to the fact that her writing is unique and her characters are individual and so realistic. I was meaning to get into this series when I saw how popular it was becoming but for some reason, I wasn't bothered to actually pick the book up. So when my lovely Poppy bought me a beautiful hardcover of a Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) from a shop in Singapore Airport when we were waiting to catch our flight to Milan, I knew that I had to read the first book because I felt the need to pick up the first book and show thanks to my Poppy. I tired to find a copy in Italy but they were all in Italian (Which I would love to learn!) So when we arrived home nearly a month later, I went to the library and picked up An Ember in the Ashes. Although, I got a large print version which I am not used to reading but anyway! So I jumped into the book straight away and here is my actual review...

The characters were amazing. I loved them and hated them too. My favourite character was Elias. He was such a relatable character. I found myself being most attached to him mainly because I have felt the feeling of being pressured into being something I'm not and having to actually hide it from others, even those close to me. For this, I loved reading his views. Laia was just as great, although at first, she seemed weak and silly. But during the book, you could definitely see how she grew and matured which I loved. She really was a powerful person who self-doubted herself and for this, I could also feel a connection to her. I loved all the others including the other slaves, other soldiers, Laia's brother etc. I had a love/hate relationship with Helene because at first, I liked her due to her strong will and being the only female soldier at the academy. But during the book she began to seriously annoy me, then at the end, I liked her again. I hated Marcus and the commandment and a few others.

The world building was great. One could definitely see the world as a visual when the places were described and this really helped to set the pillars of the story as there was quite a lot of movement. The novel was action packed as well so the details of everything around the characters was also great. Overall, An Ember in the Ashes was fantastic and I really recommend it to people who love action, girl power, realistic characters, fantasy etc. 



A Torch against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) by Sabaa Tahir

Rating 4.8/5
Started: 12th January, 2017
​Ended: 14th January, 2017
I love this series so much. My friend always raved about this series and how much she loved it. So I decided to borrow the first from the library as I had a hardcover of the second book at home. Sadly, I got a large print but never the less, I loved the first book so much I continued on to the next book straight away. 

A Torch Against the Night was fantastic. It was beautifully written and the characters were individual in their personalities and persona making each a pleasure to read. Elias is favourite as he is such a strong character. Built to be an emotionless warrior yet he is such a kind person inside. He is a character that everyone can relate to in some way and for this, he seem so real and lifelike. Laia is also amazing. She is strong and you can definitely see how she matures throughout both the books. In this novel, she definitely became a leader to all. She understands herself and for this, she becomes a stronger and more understanding character. I rather like Helene as well. In the first book I didn't like her. But now, she is also become a very relatable character. I also liked the others including Izzi (noooooo), Mamie, Afya, the soul catcher, Tas, Bee, Livvy and many others. I hated the commandment, The Warden, the night bringer, Keenan and of course, Marcus although he seems to have weaken.The settings were fantastic. It was continuous and in depth giving one a detail visual view of the worlds. 

The book was action packed, sad, beautiful, romantic, on edge and simply an emotion changer. I loved everything about the book, it was fantastic! A must read for all.

Comments

Popular Posts