The Walled City by Ryan Graudin

The Walled City by Ryan Graudin

Rating 3.5/5 Stars
Started: 21th July, 2016
Ended: 1st August , 2016
When I saw this book, I was quite excited as I loved Ryan Graudins novel Wolf by Wolf. I have to say though, that I am happy but unhappy with its ending. The reason why is because I just feel as though Mei Yee did little for the story but again, the pretty girl gets the boy. 

I feel as though she was kind of clueless and I get it, she has been stuck in a brothel for half her life and has a crap past, but she really seemed boring. It annoyed me that Dai liked her because of her beauty because come on, Jin Ling is awesome and probably beautiful as well. It also seemed to me that she was played out to having nothing yet she was treated so well by her customers and got a lot more than what Jin got. I mean a bonsai tree would have cost a lot more money than Jin would of earn in a single year. To me she was a kind of basic needy character where the whole story seemed to revolve around her so I'm sorry to say this but she was my least favorite character and for this, the ending just made me completely annoyed.

Don't worry Jin Ling, you have Chma. Chma you are my favorite character. 

Talking about Jin Ling, I love her character development and her goals. She was determined and has a pretty cool cat and I have to admit, I cried when her cat got hurt. Jin is a strong character who's determination gets her into a lot of trouble which made great action for the story. Dai is also another great character who is full of mysteries and pain. I loved his character development but as you can see in my rant earlier, I would have much preferred him to be with Jin Ling instead of Mei Yee. 

The plot line was very interesting, clever and creative and I have to give it to Ryan Graudin for another awesome plot line. 

Fact: The Walled City is actually real! Search China Walled City. 
This brings pain to me as it is understandable how real stories like this actually are where girls are forced into prostitution and are stolen from families. 

Overall, I really enjoyed this novel and although the ending didn't work out for me, it may for others so I do recommend this to anyone who likes young adult action and heartfelt cat moments. 

Comments

Popular Posts