Singing my Sister Down and Other Short Stories by Margo Lanagan


Rating: 4.3/5

Category: Fiction

Started: 15th April, 2017

Finished: 27th April, 2017

Pages: 200

Copy: Paperback, ARC

Publication Date: April 26th, 2017

Publisher: Allen and Unwin
https://www.allenandunwin.com/

RRP (AU): $19.99
Ebook Available: Yes

Recommended ages: 14+


Overall Comment:


Happy Book Birthday to this piece of art by Margo Lanagan! I loved this so much! It was like melting chocolate dripping with the goodness of sweet pleasure all the while hiding in each story something so dark and beautifully twisted! The writing was incredible, like timeless rhythm and rhyme spoken from the lips of pure delight and evil. I seriously recommend this as it is quick and great if you are in one of those awful reading slump. 

Review: 

This book was wonderful. It was so rich with description and was woven with the threads of imagination and creativity. The idea of each individual story was so unique and had me feeling confused and shocked in a great way. I have no clue how Margo Lanagan did it but she did it well and for that I commend her! 

The writing of this book was like nothing I've seen before. Each passage was a timeless piece that enhances emotion and feeling. It is amazing! I felt as though I was reading a piece of a classic fantasy story that still to this day gives people pure excitement. I have to describe the writing in only a way Lanagan would do and that is with description:

"Imagine you are given a small rosewood box. Very tiny indeed, so much so, that you wonder how anything could fit inside. Upon opening the lid, you are startled as to what lays before you. Surrounded by sheets of soft royal purple and gold fabric is everything you love. Your favorite food giving off that scent that makes you swoon. That wonderful memory, so rich with happiness and joy or bittersweet beauty. The smell that makes you think of home. Your favorite book. Every image of your travels. The feeling your favorite song gives you late at night when everything is quiet  and your brain takes you on wild adventures of intense deep thoughts and memories of better times swirl like watercolor on crisp white paper. Everything you love lays inside that tiny box. Margo Lanagan's writing is like that box. Her story are short yet they are impossibly filled with wonderfulness. Well, that is what it is like to me"

There are thirteen short stories and each are amazing in their own way. I did personally have favorites but I am not going to mention them so that you can form your own opinion. There are characters in each story and even though the stories are short, you begin to understand the character which is wonderful. Each character is unique and individual and you begin to understand the and their setting as soon as you meet them. The world building was also rather interesting, though you don't get a full insight into the world, you can paint an image of it in your head and this is what I enjoy a lot about this book. You can read the short stories in any order.

What I loved the most was how original and classic the stories felt. Each story was new and different and just as twisted. By twisted, I mean really messed up in such a beautiful and totally messed up way...I love it! This reminds me of a classical fantasy story like one to be found in the Brothers Grim and for this, I love it more!

Overall, I have to say that this book was just so beautiful. From the writing all the way to the tricky cover, I fully recommend this book. I love how the book is so quick but is not quick to the point where you'll forget the book in time but rather it stays with you. Each individual word, each twisted line. They stay with you in their dark, twisted ways. It also helps to build up short story techniques which I know is something we do a lot of in school. 'Singing my Sister Down' is also a great read for getting out of the stupid reading slump that effects us all time to time. I HATE reading slumps so much. So, read it because I swear you won't regret it. If you don't I'll get you and I will watch over you until you experience this book for you self. I mean it...See? Twisted! 

A special thanks goes to Allen and Unwin along with the wonderful Jessica Seaborn for sending me this novel to review. Thank you so much!

Love from Emmaleah
Thebookmusketeer Xx















Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts