Daughter of the Burning City by Amanda Foody

Rating: 3/5

Category: Young Adult Fantasy

Started: 09h August 2017

Finished: 17th September, 2017

Pages: 384

Copy: Australian ARC, Paperback

Publication Date: July 25th, 2017

Publisher: Harlequin Teen
https://www.harlequin.com/shop/index.html

Recommended ages: 12+


Overall Comment: Beautiful cover, a burning promise and a mysterious new city that will enlighten the viewer to a whole new world of understanding and accepting. 



Review: I could not finish this book. I tried to so hard too, I really did but I just couldn't get past even the first few chapters. So simply put, I found this book incredibly hard to read. There is a mix of reasons that I personally believe is the reason why. So lets get into it!

First of all, the setting. Oh my gosh, the world in 'Daughter of the Burning City' was so new in a way that I have never experienced. This being the fact that the whole idea of a moving city was hard to comprehend due to the complex idea of the whole concept. It isn't just a city though, it is circus kind of performance city that just confused my emotionless (and you'll see why I mean emotionless) brain.

Second of all was the description. It was so in depth that the curiosity and mysteriousness of the novel didn't mix at all with the current simple-minded me that was myself during the end of my school term stress. There you have the reason!! The detail and explanation of everything was just going in one ear and out the other and this bugged me so much because I kept having to go back to understand what I was actually reading. I would also find myself reading the same page about 5 times (in all honesty, I read a page literally around 12 times) and I think this is what made me put the novel down.

The third and final point is that I was going into a reading slump. I hate reading slumps with a passion no great author can describe. And so, I tried to pull myself out with this novel but I just couldn't and I believe this is why I haven't picked it up in the weeks since I've started. I couldn't even find the want to write a review so now that I have found the want, I hope I can start it again. 

I truly believe that this book has so much to offer but because I just couldn't get into it with the slump and the school work and stress load, I just haven't been able to do it. And so now that it is the holidays (Thank God), I plan to pick this novel up again as I see hope in it. The cover and the plot, it is all so promising. I hope, I really, really hope that I will be able to read it fully and love it!


All for One and One for All
Emmaleah; The Book Musketeer Xx

Comments

Popular Posts