Promising Azra by Helen Thurloe

Promising Azra by Helen Thurloe

Rating 4/5 Stars
Started: 27th July, 2016
​Ended: 27th July, 2016


Publication Date: August 1st, 2016.
Publisher: Allen and Unwin https://www.allenandunwin.com/
RRP (AU) $19.99 

Recommended Ages: 14+

Main Comment: A powerful book with a message that is so scary yet so true. 

General Comments: This book really pained me. I am 15 years old and to think that I could be married at this age to a man who is nearly twice as old as me seems ridiculous but for many young girls not only in Australia but anywhere in the world, it is the sad reality. 


Promising Azra is a simply wonderful yet terribly sad book. I truly cannot find the worlds to describe it. This book pain me as the truth to this novel is really quite harsh. It has made me realize that anybody can be subject to forced marriage yet alone abuse and family issues.

Helen Thurloe has done a fantastic job on this book and I feel as though writing it would be just as hard as it was for me to read it. I want to congratulate her on the writing of this book as she has made it into an enjoyable, scientific, young adult story about a 16 year old girl who is great with science and has a bright future in front of her all the while mixing it in with traditions which are so painfully real. 

The Characters were really enjoyable and realistic for me. I can relate to Azra as I am a science nerd myself and to Bassima as I do rather like my nails. Azra's brother was also a significant character as he played a major role in some of the events towards the end of the book and I really loved Pratik as he went through a lot of crap throughout the events in this book. Oh and lets not forget innocent little Soraya who was forced into the horrors of the abuse and fighting. I truly did feel so sorry for her and wanted to reach through the pages and just hug her. Each character had a distinct personality that I could see in a real life human being. Overall, the characterization was done very well. 

The plot line was another interesting aspect of the novel. I found the story line to be rather creative as the novel not only brings up the subject of forced marriage but hints to abuse both mentally and physically along with strong hints towards sexism in religious cultures and ethnic traditions. Some scenes in this book really hurt me inside as I cannot image this happening to anyone yet it does happen to so many people. I loved how the novel also hinted to ways of speaking out about the issues such as Azra speaking to her friends and the issues as well as seeing a Councillor and speaking with her teacher. I found this very helpful as those who read this book will know where to contact if they ever find themselves in such a state like the state to which Azra was placed. 

Overall, Promising Azra is a powerful novel that I believe should be read in schools as it really helps to open the mind to the issue of forced marriage, abuse and sexism. For all you know, it could be happening to the girl or boy who sits next to you in class. People need to be aware of how possible and realistic these issues are and they need to be put to end. Believe me now, nobody wants to be forced into doing something you don't want to do. Especially marriage to a man who is twice as old as you. Helen has done a great job in writing this novel and I recommend it to anyone who wants to have a taste of reality in the mix of a young adult novel. I feel truly honored to be able to read this novel before its official publication date and I feel as though it is a must read for everyone both boy and girl, woman and men. 

A special thanks goes to Allen and Unwin for sending me this novel to review. Thank You!

Comments

Popular Posts