A List of Cages by Robin Row

Rating: 4.8/5

Category: Young Adult Contemporary Fiction

Started: 20th July, 2017

Finished: 20th July, 2017

Pages: 320

Copy: Hardcover

Publication Date: January 10th, 2017

Publisher: Disney, Hyperion 
http://books.disney.com/

Recommended ages: 14+

Overall Comment: Yes, I cried a lot. 

Review: I have to give it to Robin Row for how hard this book would have been to write. This was the first book I have read by her and I have to say how much respect I have to give to her. It would be my pleasure to review any more of this wonderful authors books and I will definitely be supporting any book she has planned for the future. 

This book was incredibly hard to read. Not because of the writing and plot because they were amazing but rather because of the pain that Julian endured both physically and mentally. It truly hit me hard to the point where I was covering my mouth and crying because I cannot believe that such things can happen to a person, an innocent child. I cannot believe for the life of me that a human being, entitled with the care of a child who has lost so much, can do such evil things. It seems too fictional yet it isn't because child abuse and bullying happens virtually every day. I can say that I am shocked to the core at the mental and physical violence Julian received from people he had had some form of trust in. 

This book was beautiful. I loved it and couldn't put it down. It hurt me, it made me laugh and it hurt me again with such power. The characters were detailed and vivid, so human like that I am sure they were based off a real person. The relationship between Julian and Adam was wonderful and heart-wrenching. I loved watching the growth of confidence (Within Julian) and the grown of compassion and understanding (Within Adam). I loved them both and I loved their views on each other. Both Adam and Julian are vivid characters that are both exceptionally well produced and truly, anyone who read this novel will feel for and love them. Another character who grew was that Charlie. I won't say much but his character development was very well done. Russel can go die and stay forever in a hole. I have to say, some parts where a bit confusing but nevertheless, made sense at the end. 

I recommend this book for both its showcase of real events that need to have more attention given and for it beauty as a book written so well. Both modern and realistic and so emotionally charged, this book is one of a kind and will be for any, a wonderful read.

Comments

Popular Posts